Monday, January 16, 2012

Happy MLK Day

It's the National Holiday for Martin Luther King, Jr. and there is lots of coverage from not only the local news stations, but around the world. Dr. King's "I Have a Dream" speech is always one of my favorites to either listen or read again on the holiday. For the thousands of people who heard the speech that day in Washington DC, it had to be compelling but most of all inspiring.

Photo Credit: Associated Press
As I glanced at photos during the Civil Rights Movement, I came across the one of the four college students who went to Woolworth in Greensboro, NC and sat down at the "whites-only" counter, but were refused service. They sat at the counter all day never to be served. Other sit-ins occurred around the country. We've come a long way and the efforts by Dr. King and his many supporters for justice and non-violence helped pave the way. Let Freedom Ring!

2 comments:

  1. I grew up in Memphis, and I remember the day he was shot. Recently, I took my daughter who grew up in China to see the movie The Help, about the relationship between the African American domestic housekeepers in the South and their white employers in the 50s and 60s. My daughter couldn't believe it was really like that, but I lived it and I told her it was true. I should mention that I'm white and we had a housekeeper when I was growing up.

    These days, I am good friends with the woman who was my mom's housekeeper in her final years. We have talked a lot about The Help, and her mother's memories of those years. I think these discussions are so important. It's part of our history, both black and white. If we can go back and speak our truths of those times, we can build bridges in today's times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Galen for the great comments. I imagine your daughter was surprised at the way things were back during those times. I agree with you on building bridges...so important!

    ReplyDelete