Saturday, November 12, 2011

Saturday Nostalgia



The weekend in Atlanta is bold, bright & beautiful. I just finished my last cup of coffee which is beyond my noon cut off, but that's fine. I have been patiently waiting for the prices on apples to go down in the grocery stores. I figured with fall's arrival, apple prices would drop. I'll cut myself some 'frugal slack' and buy a few.

I became a bit nostalgic this morning as I remember spending weekends at my grandmother's house where Saturdays started out with some household chores like cleaning the den and dusting. I always volunteered to dust and I remember my grandmother had a sideboard with family portraits and trophies on it. We must have had an athletic family because there sure were lots of  trophies to remove before dusting it off. I felt so proud when everything was placed back on the sideboard and seeing how nice it looked. I enjoyed helping my grandmother with anything she was doing.

By the time we finished our chores, we settled into the den to watch our favorite Saturday program Soul Train. We would find a spot either on the sofa or floor as the music chimed in and the Train came across the screen. I am sure the website has videos to watch episodes and seeing the outfits would be groovy. The memories of days gone by hold special nostalgia for me and this is one of those days. I remember waiting to hear host Don Cornelius say his famous words at the end of every show...We wish you Love, Peace, & Soul. The show truly was "The Hippest Trip in America."






No comments:

Post a Comment