Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Check The Mailbox

As many of us have been reading, the U.S. Postal Service is considering some big moves that will impact the workers, postal routes and eliminating Saturday service. I actually stopped into my local post office to buy some stamps that should carry me through the month. The news reports have mentioned that with email, social media, and online bill paying there is just not as many people utilizing the post office in person anymore. I remember when you needed to change your address when moving, you had to go to the post office to fill out the form. Now, you can do it online. I still mail stuff and plan ahead to make to ensure the mail arrives on time. I will admit that email and e-cards are faves, but it's nice to actually mail a card and receive one. I like knowing the bright smile it will surely bring when they open the mailbox. I bet rural communities will probably feel the impact the most if any of their offices close. I imagine the friendships developed with longtime workers over the years will be missed too. I have heard customers chatting about vacations and grandchildren while at the window, don't forget a quick glance at pictures if there is not a long line. We'll have to wait and see how everything plays out with the postal service, but hopefully the changes will be minimal. Over on NPR, there's a good story "Five Ways The Postal Service Could Reinvent Itself."

Credit: Free photos from acobox.com


2 comments:

  1. I so agree with you Cynthia. There are still some of us who love to use the postal services. Let's hope is will not fade into the woodwork like everything else we held dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Loretta for stopping by and I hold the same sentiments.

    ReplyDelete